[MPWG] Demand for Rhodiola from the wild

Eric T Jones etjones at ifcae.org
Thu Jan 8 14:19:06 CST 2004

Dear MPWG,

In reading the article the conclusions of the research sound dubious to me
and I wish that we would not circulate mass media articles on this
list.  Though the research article upon which the story is based isn't
available yet they have put out a press release reuters?  In the article
they say that the analysis is based on a the number of species on the IUCN
list harvested from the wild.  The implication is that if the source is
wild it is unsustainable.  Well, if inventory and monitoring of commercial
herbals is anything like it is in the U.S. (virtually nonexistent) then
they probably don't have any biological/ecological data to back of their
claims.

I'm not saying that global economics can't lead to pressures on natural
resources but let's be careful about what we endorse.