[MPWG] Mission statement??

Cafesombra at aol.com Cafesombra at aol.com
Mon Jan 5 15:08:09 CST 2004

No disrespect intended to anyone for sharing their ideas, but hats off to
Myron for pointing out the at-risk status of goldenseal -- though it has not yet
achieved "endangered" status -- in my state at any rate it carries years too
late to make much of a difference the vague status "vulnerable."
A suggestion to our colleague from CATIE, and others who are dismayed by the
volume of messages -- why not sign up to receive this in digest form, one
daily email?  I know for many of my friends in Honduras this would be a nightmare.
 Email is often shared by interoffice staff and a secretary may be printing
out every message...some people are paying a substantial fee per minute on line.
The excitement evidenced by so much participation from people who ordinarily
lurk in the sidelines generated over a couple of simple herbal questions is
very telling I think.  This is the tall task being attempted, Myron, the hope
for sustainability for herbal medicines by discussing "their use within a living
herbal tradition/philosophy which runs counter to conventional drug use."  It
is no more inappropriate to prescribe over the net than it is to prescribe
after a 7 minute office visit where as much information is gleaned about the
patient as I have about the dentally-infected woman.  Centuries ago Nicolaus
Culpepper was arrested and jailed for writing the People's Herbal.  I'll not cower
to a profession that after all these years still won't admit that most
illness can be taken care of at home with common weeds.