[MPWG] Cognitive Shift.

Ivor Hughes Herbworks1 at xtra.co.nz
Fri Jan 2 21:40:54 CST 2004

Well the acronym MAP is relatively harmless and also amusing, especially
when thrown into a scientific report. You know the sort ... 75% of the
abstract, looks like the ingredients list on a packet of processed food
... all numbers, gobbldegook and cancer, but no real substance. Unless
you are one of the cognoscenti  one does not have a clue what is being
spoken about.

The word 'Conservation' is another mystery, I say this because it
appears to have a different meaning depending on which vested interest
utters the word.  It appears to maintain its original meaning when
applied to a cute panda happily munching its way through bamboo forests
.... But applied to the world of herbs, the scientific meaning is
legislation, and restriction, for scientific and pharmaceutical use
only. With that also come the costly task of enforcement, abuse of human
rights and punitive penalties for the peasants.  Seen in that light, the
peasants also pay for their own striped suit, and ball  and chain via
taxation.

Speaking as a peasant I find it unacceptable that the people responsible
for the total mess then try to blame me and my ilk for all of the
scientific problems especially in matters of medicine. All the
scientific whinging about non compliant  peasants who failed to complete
a course of anti-biotics, and thus unleashed a scourge of madly mutating
microbes, who after all were only trying to escape the medical WMD. Oh
yes, and let us not forget the 'Ephedra' nonsense for which the peasants
also now have to pay the price for.

Surrounding the word 'Conservation' is a whole raft of other issues such
as graft and corruption. Not from the peasants, but from the
pharmaceutical companies and those that accept pharmaceutical money.
This cannot be denied ... the evidence is on plain view ... and all the
peasants that can read ... can see it.

The synthetic medicines market is collapsing ... No more magic lolly
trolleys .... they have even dusted off Thalidomide for a second throw,
and carefully swept HRT under the carpet. That is the real reason why
our heritage is being taken away from us. Imagine 3 months in the
slammer for picking a Dandelion ... improbable ?  Well the mess we are
now in, was also improbable 50 years ago.  Things seem to move faster
nowadays.

Legislation is rarely enlightened, it is usually imposed from the top
down, for the benefit of a favored few.  For example, we are in the
process, of having our right to buy vitamins and minerals, except via a
Doctors prescription taken away. Herbs are next ..... it will also be
done in the name of safety and conservation.

If there is a shortage of any specie of herb, it is because of the
'active ingredient mindset' that has led to that situation. A single
herb can produce 3 or 4 ... or even more doses of an effective
medicine.  Yet Science persists in the practice of gross overdose of a
single constituent, and thereby hastens the depletion of our herbal
stocks.  The answer is always 'Legislation' and jobs for the boys and
girls. Not to mention the unspeakable scenario outlined by Ivan Illich
(Medical Nemesis)

The issue of herbal conservation, is also tied to the matter of health
freedom, and who it is that owns your body. Because if your right to
pick the herbs are taken away ... for the benefit of the Pharmaceutical
and Medical Industries .... then we are going to enter upon a
totalitarian age ....  we already have one foot in the door, and we are
being ushered in by a wave of artificially generated paranoia  ...  we
have a war against everything these days.

We cannot separate the issue of conservation  from its wider social
implications, and most importantly ... who is it ? ... that must bear
the burden of any solution that is imposed from above. This time the
decision must not be made by small groups of people, with links to the
pharmaceutical companies and academia .... and then to the politicians
... it  must be made by everyone.

"I know of no safe depository of the ultimate powers of the society but
the people themselves, and if we think them not enlightened enough to
exercise control with a wholesome discretion, the remedy is not to take
it from them, but to inform their discretion by education."
                                                             Thomas
Jefferson, letter to William C. Jarvis, September 28, 1820

Neither can we seperate the issue of conservation from that of  GM
crops and other living creatures.  It is blindingly obvious that GM is
not compatible with conservation.  The GM plant does not stop at the
pollen or seed.  The root secretions have an effect upon the soil biota,
and as usual no studies have been done by those who have unleashed this
monstrosity. It will be also blindingly obvious that if the biota are
affected then the damage will be rapid and very serious and possibly far
beyond our capabilities to rectify.

We cannot separate the issue of conservation from the practice of
chemical mono cropping.  Which by its very nature has become the prime
despoiler and shrinker of habitats. We cannot separate it from the issue
of Chemical spraying by land and air. We cannot separate it from the
issue of Global Warming .....

The word 'conservation ' means many things to many people ... what does
it mean to you ?

Ivor Hughes
www.herbdatanz.com