[MPWG] ethical harvest certification

Jolie Lonner Jolie at gowildconsulting.com
Thu Dec 23 20:29:53 CST 2004

Hi everyone,

I believe that certification is necessary because it increases consumer
awareness and results in better practices.

I wanted to address the concept of ethically harvested certification.

There was some mention in the recent discussion that wildcrafted
products could be certified as organic if the areas could be inspected
properly.My questions here are:
Are the certifications interchangable?
What are the criteria used to to determine ethical harvest?
Who does this certification?
What if the harvesting in on public lands?
Can migrant harvesters or non-land owners get certified?

Additionally do we have the data needed to know what constitutes
ethical wildcrafting?My research on the harvest of Oregon-grape, found
that the U.S Forest service guidelines were not sufficient to protect
Berberis nervosa from over harvest. This was three years of research on
one plant and one guideline. Do we have data on what would constitute
ethical wildcrafting for popular species? Does anyone know of a place
where this research could be banked and housed for the benefit of all?

At the very least we probably can agree to some general guidelines
about taking a only portion of the population, leaving healthy plants
to regenerate, not harvesting in wet soils, proper identification and
moratorium on sensitive plant species on the UPS list.  Are the organic
certifiers taking these points into account?

If there was an organization whose was responsible for certifying
ethical wildcrafting, it might be able to collect crucial data on
harvest methods patterns, medicinal plant populations and effects of
harvest over time. What efforts are being made to gather data on
current wild harvesting methods and effects, and is that data
accessible?

One option I have heard about for certifying wild harvested plants on
public land is for the Forest Service to determine guidelines and issue
permits. In order for a harvester to get these permits they would need
to be trained by the FS personnel in identification and sustainable
harvest methods. The permit could follow the product and start the
chain of custody process.  I know there are lot of problems with the
model, a few being funding for the personnel and government control,
but does anyone have constructive solutions to facilitation of landless
people harvesting consciously on our public lands?

In the Balkans many NGOs, aid organizations and small herb businesses
are looking toward certification to make herbal products more
competitive on the  European market. There is a strong need to train
harvesters and monitor trade in sensitive species.  Verification of
quality, sustainability and equity  were being addressed in Kosovo
during my time there.  Currently, international aid groups pay for
harvester training by organizations like the Swiss Import Promotion
Programme (SIPPO) and Institut für Marktökologie (IMO). These
independent certifiers issue organic certification for wildcrafted
products. This process is heavy on training for the harvesters and
buyers and verifies chain of custody. Has anyone had any experience
working with independent certifying groups?

I realize I have set forth many more questions than answers. Any other
thoughts?

Have a very happy and peaceful new year,

Jolie

Jolie Lonner
Go Wild! Consulting
P.O. Box 12135