[MPWG] Organic Comments - Certification, cont'd

pankaj oudhia pankajoudhia at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 9 00:36:01 CST 2004

'Organic standards really do not address environmental issues'

Very true Fred.

regards
Pankaj Oudhia
http://www.pankajoudhia.com

Center for Sustainable Resources <sustainableresources at hotmail.com> wrote:
Social issues and economic issue are just as important as the idea of
Walmart selling producs that may insure cleaner water from the farm. From a
Holistic perspective you don't solve the problem if the root cause is not
addressed. Standardizing a certiication means killing local markets,
communities, and eventually the ecosystem suffers because people will eat
before concern over the environment. This is somewhat general but has been
echoed in every civilization that has come and gone.
There are a few principles, four to be exact that pertain to environmental
issue world wide.
Organic certification can not deal with any of that in any real way. It is
more about redirecting wealth.
Afterall, up until about fifty years ago all farming was organic because the
chemicals did not exist. More land was destroyed then than now. About two
years ago I was at Coldgate U with allan savory who spoke there. A man in
the audience stood up and suggested that the practices of the Amish should
be followed because of the simple perhaps organic way they do things.
Allan's response was that the Amish have destroyed just as much land as
anyone else ,they have just done it a little slower. He is absolutely
correct.
Organic standards really do not address environmental issues. As Bob pointed
out it is just another expense dumped on farmers trying to do the right
thing and redirects markets to mega farms.
If you think you are ultimately going to save natural resources with
national organic standards , that might be a little dillusional rather than
transparent.
I can see the same kind of demise with doing such a thing to people who
produce woodland medicinal plants. The best way remains that of free
enterprise, market and demand. The customer can get whatever they want
however they want by simply talking to who grows it. It works on a local
level and maintains local communities. If people are so far removed from the
natural world that they can't do that then no amount of certification is
going to help them in the end. You might do more by simply getting kids off
of computers and into the woods so that they one day may be able to return a
culture we all long for to please come back. Fred Hays