[MPWG] QUESTION &Afrom an bioregional herbalist

Stiki Niki texas_herbalist at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 8 15:19:34 CST 2004

Wow

I skimmed through many of the responses to the question and I am pretty
fired up as well about the issue.  I come to this issue as an anarchist at
heart and practicing herbalist and ecologist so here is yet another opinion.
  I wildcraft and grow as many herbs as possible for my practice.  I have a
hard time commodifying health and herbs, but obviously, I am stuck in a
system down here in the bowels of the beast (occupied Mexico). I, like many
others, attempt to make a living doing what I love, and I love plants and
the healing arts.

The arguments brought forth have been very broad and outside of my scope.  I
tend to think a little more practically.  I am one of the people who
educates the others in my community about how to use herbs, where to get
them and how to choose high quality preparations, as well as treating folks
and seeing the direct effects of my herbal medicine.  In other words, I am a
much smaller player, but there are many of us.  Most of us aren't on the
listserves or members of any groups. I have many herbalist friends in the
U.S. and in Mexico that want nothing to do with certification of plant
material or our healing art.  We are the ones who are stewarding the wild
stands of plants around the US and other countries.  We are also the ones
watching large herb companies create the necessary scenario in order to
decimate large stands of plants that cannot be replaced---ever.  We just
mourned the loss this last year of a huge stand of Osha in Colorado some
European company wanted to probably sell back to the U.S. later.  Who are
the environmentally and socially responsible companies??  Good question.
There is a lot more to a high quality herbal preparation than a bunch of
letters on the label.  I am not saying there shouldn't be standards but I am
the first to question whether all of the bureaucracy will bring us higher
quality herbal preparations.

Who should set the standards?  Well, I believe that the direction herbalism
and the herb market has headed in the last decade in the U.S. is not a
direction that I personally support.  I believe that educated people who
pick and use the plants should set the standards, and most people I meet are
educated by retailers, instead of herbalists or ecologists, on the use and
harvesting of herbs.  A few of the retailers may also be herbalists or
ecologists, but many just learn catch phrases and trendy "substitutes" to
pharmaceuticals.
In my ideal world, we would form local committees that set standards for
medicinal plants and herbalists based on consensus from folks in the local
community.  The local committees may then act as representatives to other
communities that wished to trade and our local community may decide to
empower this committee to make the decisions based on the local communities
concerns and values.  A greater emphasis should be placed on bioregionalism
in general so that folks create a stronger bond with their local
environment, and have more of a reason to protect it.
I share concerns over where my plants come from and I do my best to
decentralize my use of herbs by finding bioregional equivalents that are
weedy and therefore create less of a strain on plant populations.  Sometimes
I have had to buy herbs and as my business grows, I am now ordering more and
more supplies and dried plant material.  I have great concerns over the
quality of herbs grown in different areas of the world for a global
medicinal plant market, as well as global food market.  Since my ideal world
isn't here yet, then personlly, I would choose medicinal plants from places
that could answer more of my questions on the phone with regards to ethical
harvesting, where the plant matter came from, irradiation, etc.  I have yet
to find a company that sells herbs to retailers and herbalists that can
answer my questions sufficiently.  Therefore, after the hours and hours I
have spent with larger, more affordable companies---many well known ones, I
have decided to spend the extra money and go straight to the small companies
like mine, who I can actually get some deep, thoughful answers from about
their plants.  In Texas, I helped to create a small association of local
herbalists who share plants and supplies.
Social equity is VERY important.  When people are getting what they feel
they deserve for their work, the end result is a better product.  Plain and
simple.  Fair Trade is another questionable term.  My friend from Mexico
interviewed "Fair Trade" farmers and found many indications that there was
nothing "fair" about fair trade.   It still depends on whose doing the
trading but when it comes to large corporations I have no trust in them at
all.

I decided after several years of training in herbalism to pursure bodywork.
I went to get my Massage Therapy Registration in Texas.  The skills and
ability of herbal practitioners who are not required to be certified are as
variable as the Registered Massage Therapists.  The Midwives of my area
decided to go for National Certification and are now kicked out of
hospitals.  Certification of medicinal plant does not ensure high quality
medicinal plants.  Certification of herbs may be helpful and effective for
large companies, but not small ones. Therfore, maybe it is time to try to
envision another way to get direct participation of local communities.
Education and trust is key.  If I had more time and energy, or it was my job
to do so, I would try to create better ways to educate and focus more on
accessiblilty.   As it is, I am spending way too much time on this and I
have a client soon.

I have tried to answer the questions put out to the listserve to show that
there is yet another perspective alive and well on this listserve.  We need
new ideas and new systems, not reform.  In holistic mediicne you have to
think outside of the box to get answers.  I would like to see the same thing
with the standards we create for medicinal plants.  I am on the side of
people in their local communities being supported by their neighbors
sustaining our local economies.  I understand that creating a market for
herbs may be all that some people have in some countries, (another hour long
essay) but I have to stay true to decentralization.  I am on the side of the
beautiful weeds of various biorgegions being celebrated.  I respect and
honor all of the work so many have put into such things as Organic
standards, but as much as I'd like to, I just can't afford personally live
an Organic lifestyle. I think more than give any answers, I have a lot more
questions surrounding this issue.  I do believe that there should be
standards but in order for them to truly work, they have to be able to be
integrated in at a grassroots level.

Thanks for your time and remember to support your local herbalists!!!
Niki Telkes
www.wildspirit.info