[MPWG] Organic Comments - Certification, cont'd

Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov
Wed Dec 8 12:00:48 CST 2004

While the MPWG listserve is not the venue for an all-out organic debate,
I'm posting the comments below because, in addition to providing more
insight on the organic issue, it raises some other important issues - the
flip side of corporate involvement and the fact that there are some
inherent forces that can't be addressed in the certification process.  This
is an important part of understanding the strengths and weaknesses (and
therefore, applicability) of the various certification systems.

-Patricia

----- Forwarded by Patricia De Angelis/ARL/R9/FWS/DOI on 12/08/2004 12:44
PM -----

                      DianeDonCarlos at a
                      ol.com                   To:      Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov
                                               cc:
                      12/08/2004 11:12         Subject: Organic Comments
                      AM

_____________________________________
Pesticides and chemicals are still "allowed" in organic processes, but
reduced largely to EPA Inerts List 1 and 2 prohibited, List 3 prohibited
and restricted on a case by case basis, List 4 Inerts allowed. Synthetic
herbicides and pesticides are not allowed (such as Roundup, 2-4-D, etc.).
As we continue to investigate synthetic products available to determine
their status as allowed in organic processes, we continue to pierce the
veils of nondisclosure in the chemical agricultural industry. As an
inspector, if a product label does not disclose the totality of
ingredients, (for example a garlic spray labeled 1% garlic and 99% inert) I
present this info to the certifying agency as "Allowed status unknown." A
full disclosure label and when applicable the MSDS is required for all
inputs used. The substance is disallowed for use if the ingredients are
unknown or not fully disclosed by the manufacturer. This is an important
move forward for full disclosure and for our health.

 Yes, Corporate farms squeeze out the little guy. However this is an
economic reality that is beneath, above and beyond the organic sector. It
is the reality of agricultural commodification. And I am as disgusted with
it as everyone else. When the NOP arrived, it became clear to the corporate
sector that organics was a market. A real market, not just a subculture
hippie/yuppie phenomenon, and they jumped on the bandwagon. A mistake
perhaps. Time will tell. Now we have Tyson Organic Chicken, Organic
Dorito's and Heinz Organic Ketchup, etc., etc. Will Frito-Lay become an
advocate for non-gmo corn at some future date because it might now have an
impact on their organic fields? What does this actually accomplish in the
larger organic chain? Does this now offer the organic grower who is a
wholesaler of raw materials (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers and the like)
broader markets? Does it further squeeze out the small grower? I have
certainly seen a positive impact for small farmers in the soybean market.
The small CSA direct-to-market growers decide/chose to be certified or not
as their markets require. Some have decided their customers don't require
them to be certified, and are no longer doing so but are still farming
organically. Others want to expand their markets and so regard
certification as another cost of doing business. $500 with a 75% rebate is
not a big expense for most growers.

If large tracks of corporate owned farmland go organic, don't we eventually
win? Don't we then have less damaging inputs in the water table flowing
into the rivers and out to the ocean? Don't we get more acreage of non-gmo
plants? Don't we get less erosion and subsequent loss of topsoil? And
doesn't the average consumer gain the option of choice and hence the
opportunity for education? I see organic milk on the shelf at small
convenience stores now.

And here's a Reality Check. Walmart is the largest buyer of organic
produce.(I don't know their status as a consumer of packaged herbal
products but expect that it is BIG) Yikes, yuk we can say. Walmart is not
the place I want to go to buy my organic produce. However, there is a
Walmart available in the remotest rural areas of the US where not a single
person has ever seen an organic tomato and has no clue what that is. Here
in SE Ohio, home to the National Center for the Preservation of Herbs,
United Plant Savers, and many CSA's, you still have to drive at least 60
miles roundtrip to find retailed organic anything..............except for
Walmart. Because of competition with Walmart my local grocery store now has
a "natural foods" section. It may well be that in a few years the unhealthy
diabetic obese poor of Appalachia might begin the process of education
about healthy whole foods because Walmart has organic carrots, greens,
dairy, etc., available.

Quite the conundrum.

Diane Don Carlos
Herbalist, Organic Inspector