[MPWG] Transparency clarifications

Steven Dentali, Ph.D. sdentali at ahpa.org
Wed Dec 8 11:06:44 CST 2004

A certificate of analysis is just that, a certification of analytical
results to determine if the material analyzed meets predetermined
specifications. Specifications are part of standardization, which is the
process represented by the documentation and controls needed to insure a
reasonably consistent product (it is not merely assuring the amount of a
chemical standard in an extract, active or not-AHPA has guidance
documents that explain this in gory detail).

Purchasers have, or should have, product specifications. The way to
determine if specifications are met is to evaluate (sensory or
otherwise) the material. The CoA is generated to show that this was done
and to provide the actual test results. Ways to prove identity can be
part of specifications and is often a requirement for crude botanical
material before reaching a manufacturer. It is often appropriately
treated as a separate matter because botanical identity is a matter of
taxonomy not chemistry.

The issue of who generates a CoA hinges on reliability only. It doesn't
matter where the analysis is done as long as steps have been taken to
ensure that the results are reliable. As to the earlier question of
quality; quality is what you define it to be. Developing product
specifications, and ensuring they are met, is one way to do this.

--
Steven Dentali, Ph.D.
VP – Scientific and Technical Affairs