[MPWG] QUESTION OF THE MONTH: Certification Schemes

Center for Sustainable Resources sustainableresources at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 7 09:54:38 CST 2004

I believe you could only say that with reference to your experience wherever
you were.
My experience has been different. What is it today? Almost unused. Even if a
certain amount of the population wants organically grown vegatables it sets
up an unfair market place because most farmers are rural and do not have
access to those markets. The standards have little to do with land
stewardship when you consider what is allowable under those standards. How
could it be safer when we don't even know what might be in public waste.
Public waste is monitored for industrial materials although people put
everything down their drains. Just because you cook it one way or another
does not change toxicity in cancer causing chemicals. Organically produced
food may in fact be less safe then what is otherwise available.
Standards should be dictated by ones own goal not a foreign committee.
However, if it makes you feel better, I don't have a problem with it. Just
don't try and impose it on everyone else.
I don't use pesticides or chemicals of any kind to produce food and I know
what is in it because it is limited to what is in the soil naturally and
what my animals can add . They don't get chemicals either.
Could I make a profit doing this on a larger scale? Probably not. People
want what looks good and what cost less. That is the market and the demand.
My chicken and beef could be certified organic. The chickens have to be
cooked in an autoclave and the beef is more like venison. It is ok with me
but not what the public seeks. The public seeks good taste and fat, count on
it. Fred Hays