[MPWG] QUESTION OF THE MONTH: Certification Schemes

Center for Sustainable Resources sustainableresources at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 6 09:13:54 CST 2004

I think certification already exist for anyone who wants it. A grower can
advertise growing or producing something in a certain way for a targeted
customer. A buyer can contact a grower and asked for something to be
produced by certain standards. It is all driven by demand and commerce not
someone else imposing their will.
Patricia mentions the organic standards we now have. I can' think of a
better example of what not to do. Those standards have become meaningless
since the USDA intervention. The intervention resulted because many little
organic factions accrross the country were trying to impose their own
standards and charge fees for it etc. The term organic is simply a feel good
thing for certain groups especially what we call the yuppies. It has nothing
to do with quality or even the way something was produced. Grace G. ( I
won't give her last name) was the USDA employee who developed those
standards. She has completely removed herself from that corrupt process and
left her job tp live on a small farm in Vermont. In fact she has been one of
my classmates in the Holistic educator training conducted by The Allan
Savory Center.
As soon as we try to impose certain standards on something we have doomed
the creative process of doing it better and we have dealt a blow to man's
natural tendency to conserve natural resources that sustain him.
Trying to work with an existing certification system is very difficult when
the standards are set up to protect a certain group that does not really
have a stake in the resource.
Managing resources has to come from a holistic perspective. Outlawing moss
harvest will just excacerbate the problem if the problem is that someone
does not want someone doing it.
Looking at it in a broader perspective which includes the people harvesting
allows us to have strategies that make sense. For example, letting them
harvest it or just monitoring followed by actions which pertain to that
harvested area only would be a first step. Rest after post harvest allows
for the moss to return if that is what is wanted. A private landowner can
not be required to have moss if they don't want moss. Fred Hays