[MPWG] organic labeling

Cafesombra at aol.com Cafesombra at aol.com
Fri Apr 23 16:22:23 CDT 2004

Hello,
I am not a big fan of the Organic Consumers Association -- quite frankly, you
have to double check their claims to make sure they are accurate.  But this
recent (today) announcement from them is worth checking out.
I'm still waiting for Clairol to get a big fat fine for their commercials
calling the Herbal Essence shampoos a "truly organic experience."  Cute pun I
suppose, but how is that not false advertising?
ORGANIC LABELING IN JEOPARDY
The USDA's National Organic Program (NOP) has published a new scope document
that compromises efforts to establish meaningful organic standards for
personal care products, dietary supplements, fertilizers, soil amendments, manure and
related materials, fish and seafood, and pet foods. The new NOP Scope will
make it illegal for makers of the aforementioned products to display the USDA
Organic Seal in the future or make any other claims suggesting these products
are made under the USDA NOP standards. The OCA is pressuring the USDA to retract
its new position, which hurts organic farmers and consumers by allowing
companies to make organic claims without being certified.
http://www.organicconsumers.org/bodycare/nop-scope.cfm