[MPWG] North American ethnobotanical journals

Robyn Klein robyn at rrreading.com
Wed Apr 14 19:20:04 CDT 2004

Hello Drew,

One idea for information on colonial/Iroquois herbal medicine is to go to
Michael Moore's website (Southwest School of Botanical Medicine in Bisbee,
Arizona).  Michael has copied hundreds of old published materials from the
1850-1930s era, including ethnobotanical materials.  He doesn't have a
search engine (I don't think) on his website, so it will take a lot of
digging.  You could also email him personally to perhaps direct you to
specific files.

Academic journals online can often be accessed at university libraries and
papers printed out. Sometimes you do not have to be a student.  Inquire
with that library. Sometimes you need a debit card for that university in
order to print out papers. University librarians are a rich source of
information on where to find such materials.

Some academic journals with info on ethnobotany:

Bulletin of History and Medicine
Studies of History, Philosophy, Biology & Biomedical Sciences
Social Science & Medicine
Journal of Ethnopharmacology
Journal of Ethnobiology
Economic Botany

Also, many libraries have Special Collections, which are separate rooms
holding materials that cannot be taken out of the library.  I have found
ethnobotanical materials in these collections.  You should also check
thesis and dissertations (databases are online).

The Lloyd Library & Museum in Cincinnati, Ohio is a special library devoted
to the materials of the Eclectic Physicians (1850s-1930s).  The Eclectics
used many herbs from Native tribes throughout the U.S.

It is a lot of work to search for these materials.  I hope these few ideas
can help you in your search.

Best Regards,
Robyn Klein

--

Robyn Klein, Masters Graduate Student
Department of Plant Sciences & Plant Pathology