[MPWG] NIH and WIDELY AVAILABLE PSYCHOACTIVE NATURAL PRODUCTS

Cafesombra at aol.com Cafesombra at aol.com
Mon Apr 12 13:15:02 CDT 2004

Greetings All,

I'm curious to hear more about the intentions of this research, what will the
findings ultimately be used to accomplish?
http://www.drugabuse.gov/whatsnew/meetings/psychoactivemtgsumm.html

Increasing our knowlegde and understanding of how plants work on human beings
is a benevolent enough goal, although I would direct participating
researchers to give at least a cursory scan to Jim Duke's now fairly old work on synergy
and his "silver bullet vs. the shotgun shell" argument against the active ingr
edient principle.

I'm curious because, conspiracy theorist that I tend to be or at least
sporting a healthy distrust of government as any average participant in a democracy
ought to do, I was immediately concerned that such research generated by among
only three principals, the Office of Drug Abuse, would be used to further
what I fear is a discredit-and-ban approach to herbal medicine being increasing
adopted under an adminitration with rather blatant, well documented, direct
ties to the pharmaceutical industry, for example Bush ties to Eli Lily (maker of
Prozac) or Rumsfeld's ties to G.R. Searles.  I could be wrong, but as an
illustration of my point a ban on kava in Great Britain occuring simultaneously to
British researchers exposing the suicidal tendencies of long-term Prozac users
seemed to me to be orchestrated from behind political scenes.  There seems a
not-so-hidden agenda seeking to restrict access to and prohibit use of what N.
Culpepper called "The People's Medicine," namely the plants, in a political
environment which aside from herbal products, seems to want to unregulate all
trade.  Granted, with McKenna listed as a participant in the workshop in
question I am sort of willing to concede that this may be an attempt to truly
understand in a non-biased way.  I would honestly appreciate hearing some thoughts
about this because I'm a free thinker and would like to know the facts before I
make up my mind.

In regard to this discredit-and-ban tactic, I can't help pointing out also
that government prohibition of dangerous drugs never works, as was most famously
illustrated by killer alcohol, a widely available psychoactive natural plant
product.

In regard to how this topic may affect conservation of plants, I would argue
that once a plant is labeled as a widely available psychotropic drug and
government forces move in to restrict or curtail supplies, generally Monsanto ends
up with a contract for huge amounts of Round-Up as is the case of Plan
Columbia efforts to reduce production of coca.  In my own neck of the woods, local
sherrifs, trying to eradicate Datura stromonium after teenagers were found to be
messing with this admittedly very dangerous plant, sprayed copious amounts of
Round Up until they ran out of money and gave up on a futile effort to
control an extremely abundant self-seeding weed.  I do not know the conservation
status of any plants that happened to get in the way of these raining Round Up,
if-you-can't-regulate-it-kill-everything approaches to drug abuse control.

I'm not a scientist and do not take scietific data as the last word on any
subject so, take what I'm saying with a grain of salt all you scientists out
there.  I would guess though that there are serveral people lurking in the
sidelines with a similar, though perhaps -- perhaps -- ill-informed distrust of such
government-sponsored scientific initiatives.  So if anyone has 2 cents to add
to my dollar I'd like to hear it.

Best regards,
Jennifer Chesworth