[MPWG] New Report: Participatory NTFP Inventory and Monitoring U.S.

Eric T Jones etj-list at ifcae.org
Thu Apr 8 19:13:17 CDT 2004

New Report: Lynch, Kathryn A., Eric T. Jones, and Rebecca J. McLain. 2004.
Nontimber Forest Product Inventorying and Monitoring in the United States:
Rationale and Recommendations for a Participatory Approach.  Funded by the
National Commission on Science for Sustainable Forestry.  Produced by the
Institute for Culture and Ecology.  Available at:
<http://www.ifcae.org/projects/ncssf1/>www.ifcae.org/projects/ncssf1/

Abstract
This document explores the potential of collaborative approaches for
nontimber forest product inventory and monitoring in the United States.  It
begins by reviewing results of a federal and state survey that documented
inventory and monitoring efforts for nontimber forest products in the
United States.  The surveys show that the majority of NTFP-related
inventory and monitoring on National Forests and state forests consists of
non-scientific forms of monitoring, such as tracking permits, general site
inspections, and informal visual checks of harvest areas.  We argue that
broadening participation in inventory and monitoring efforts can provide
managers and policymakers with the data needed to develop and maintain
sustainable NTFP management programs in an era of declining forest
management budgets and staffing levels.  Our fieldwork with NTFP harvesters
identified several characteristics of harvesters and their work that could
be compatible with or enhance inventory and monitoring efforts.  In
addition, harvester perspectives regarding incentives for participation are
discussed.  Profiles of eight participatory inventory and monitoring
projects illustrate how this concept has already been put into
practice.  We then draw on our ethnographic research and results from four
regional workshops to explore the barriers to involving harvesters in
inventory and monitoring of NTFP species.  In testing the idea of
collaboration, we found that NTFP stakeholders are generally supportive of
the concept.  The benefits, potential incentives for participation, and
potential barriers to participatory inventory and monitoring are
described.  Key recommendations include: 1) developing and implementing
collaborative inventory and monitoring pilot programs; 2) modifying
existing inventory and monitoring programs to explicitly include NTFPs; and
3) develop curricula and training courses for forestry students, managers
and extension agents that focus on the current and potential role of
nontimber forest products in ecosystem management.