[MPWG] many thanks!

jolie lonner jolielonner at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 20 13:39:54 CST 2003

Hello everyone,

I wanted to send my belated thanks to everyone who answered my pleas for
information regarding Kosovo MAPs and harvesters. Many people shared
valuable information and it is greatly appreciated. During my time in
Kosovo, I worked on a sustainable harvest guidebook for wildcrafters
that I have attached here for anyone interested. Any comments are
welcome.

The poverty rate in Kosovo is soaring. Many rural people are interested
in harvesting MAPs but they do not have adequate training and processing
facilities. Kosovo used to produce a good deal of the raw materials for
Yugoslavia's herb trade, but with the break up of the country and the
subsequent political conflicts, market linkages to companies in Serbia
and Croatia have eroded.  Additionally, because Kosovo is not a country,
but is considered a UN protectorate, it is unclear as to what
environmental laws apply to protecting sensitive species and land
management. All these factors together make for a fascinating scenario.

If any one is interested in more details about the MAP situation in
Kosovo or the Balkans please contact me. I would love to talk about it.
You may also visit the website http://www.kosovoherbs.com
<http://www.kosovoherbs.com/>  for more information on the project.

Once again thanks for your help. This list serve is a valuable tool.

Respectfully,

Jolie  Lonner

Jolie Lonner
Go Wild Consulting