[MPWG] Uncaria gambier

David Bruce Leonard herbnerd at maui.net
Tue Nov 4 11:00:44 CST 2003

Hi,

Here is the material from the Bensky Materia Medica on Chinese Herbs:

Gou teng
Pharmaceutical name: Ramulus cum Uncis Uncariae
Botanical name: Uncaria rhynchophylla (Miq.) or U. sinen-
sis. Related species are used in other parts of China.
Family: rubiaceae
Where grown: Guangxi, Guangdong, Hubei, Hunan, Zhejiang, Jiangxi (U.
rhynchophylla); Sichuan, Yunnan, Guizhou, Hubei (U. sinensis)
When harvested: autumn and winter
Altemate name: shuang gou te'ng
Japanese: chotoko
Korean: kuduing
English: stems and thoms of the gambir vine, gambir
Literal English translation: "hook vine"
Properties: sweet, cool
Channels entered: Heart, Liver
Text in which first appeared: Miscellaneous Records

ACTIONS & INDICATIONS:

 Extinguishes wind and alleviates spasms: For Liver heat patternswith
intemal movement of Liver wind, with such symptoms as tremors, seizures, and
eclampsia.

 Drains Liver heat and pacifies Liver yang: For Liver fire and ascendant
Liver yang patternswith such symptoms as headache, irritability, red eyes,
and dizziness. Recently used for hypertension, especially of this type.

 Releases the exterior: For exterior wind heat patternswith such symptoms
as fever, headache, and red eyes.

MAJOR COMBINATIONS:

 With Comu Antelopis (lingyangjiao) and Buthus Martensi (quan xie) for
seizures associated with high fever.

 With (Rhizoma) Gastrodiae Elatae (tian ma), Buthus Martensi (quan xie),
and Concha Haliotidis (shi jue ming) for convulsions (including eclampsia)
due to Liver wind.

 With Flos Chrysanthemi Morifolii (1U hua), Concha Haliotidis (shi jue
ming), and (Folium) Mori Albae (sang ye) for dizziness and vertigo due to
Liver wind. In more extreme cases of ascendant Liver yang with accompanying
symptoms of facial flush, short temper, and wiry pulse, add Gypsum (shi gao)
and Sclerotium Poriae Cocos Pararadicis (fu shen).

 With Spica Prunellae Vulgaris (xia ku cao) and (Radix) Scutellariae
Baicalensis (huang qin) for Liver heat.

CAUTIONS & CONTRAINDICATIONS: None noted.

DOSAGE: 6 15g. Do not cook for more than 10 minutes. Good quality has double
thorns (like anchors), thin stems, and lacks dessicated stems. It should be
glossy and purplish red. It was traditionally believed that the more hooks
and less stems, the stronger the effect.

MAJOR KNOWN INGREDIENTS: rhynchophylline, isorhynchophylline, corynoxeine,
isocorynoxeine, corynoxeine, corynantheine, nicotinic acid, hirsutine,
hirsuteine (U. rhynchophylla)

PHARMACOLOGICAL & CLINICAL RESEARCH:

 Central nervous system effect: Decoctions of Ramulus cum Uncis Uncariae
(gou teng) injected intra-peritoneally into mice in doses of 0.1g/kg had a
significant sedative effect. In doses of lg/kg it inhibited conditioned
reflexes. The herb has also been used for experimental epilepsy in guinea
pigs with good success. However, at the effective doses there were also
signs of sedation.

 Effect on blood pressure: Decoctions of Ramulus cum Uncis Uncariae (gou
teng) lowered blood pressure in anesthetized dogs and rabbits and in rats
with artificially induced hypertension (denervation of the carotid bodies).
Atropine did not affect the antihypertensive functions of the herb, but
vagotomy greatly diminished them. The herb did not cause peripheral
vasodilation. If cooked for more than 15 minutes there was a decrease in the
antihypertensive effect. Old stems (those without thoms) did not show any
antihypertensive effect.

TOXICITY: The LD50 in mice for one dose of a decoction of Ramulus cum Uncis
Uncariae (gou teng) is 29g/kg. For rhynchophylline it is 162mg/kg.