[MPWG] Pepper

Ivor Hughes Herbworks1 at xtra.co.nz
Mon Dec 22 13:42:22 CST 2003

I think Dr Vidhyasagar meant Piper nigrum.

Well to do Hindu families would hire a Brahmin, as chef , astrologer and
Ayurvedic practitioner, those 3 functions are rooted in a pithy
Ayurvedic aphorism ....

*' From food, come all beings. To food, go all beings. Therefore food,
is the universal panacea '

*The Brahmin would cast the horoscopes of each family member.  Not to
tell a future or a fortune, but as a means of determining the persons
constitutional (Zodiacal)  type.  Side dishes were then prepared for
each member of the family, this to augment the main foods on offer.  The
side dishes would be seasoned with either a single spice or a
combination of spices.  The familiar curry powder is an Anglo/Indian
concept, which was a commercial perversion of  that ancient practice.

Firstly the the spice would be chosen to augment the individuals
biological idiosyncrasy. Simply put, to increase that which is too
little, or to decrease that which  is too much. Secondly as a modifier
to the food itself , this by rendering it more easily digestible.

We of the west also had a similar tradition with our herbs for example
... Fennel with oily fish to break down the oils to make for easier
digestion. Even more famous .... mustard or horseradish served with
roast beef.  Regrettably our tradition has degenerated into a mere
convention of taste rather than as a health giving practice.

This no doubt would seem irritational to science, yet it may be easily
determined by using oneself as the crucible .... this is the essence of
Western Herbology known as Spagyric (Paracelsus)  The concept meets the
criterion of ' Occams Razor'

May I wish all members of the group ... top of the season. For those
that are interested I have posted 3 new Monographs of the USD 1926.
Aromatic Waters; Ginger and Magnolia.

Ivor Hughes
www.herbdatanz.com