[APWG] ARTICLES: Invasive Plant Species

Krone, Elizabeth C elizabeth_krone at fws.gov
Tue Jun 13 10:35:37 CDT 2023

*The invasive plant data landscape: a synthesis of spatial data and applications for research and management in the United States

Fusco, E.J., Beaury, E.M., Bradley, B.A. et al. Landsc Ecol (2023). https://doi.org/10.1007/s10980-023-01623-z

Abstract

An increase in the number and availability of datasets cataloging invasive plant distributions offers opportunities to expand our understanding, monitoring, and management of invasives across spatial scales. These datasets, created using on-the-ground observations and modeling techniques, are made both for and by researchers and managers.

Link to article: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10980-023-01623-z

*How invaded are Hawaiian forests? Non-native understory tree dominance signals potential canopy replacement

Potter, K.M., Giardina, C., Hughes, R.F. et al. Landsc Ecol (2023). https://doi.org/10.1007/s10980-023-01662-6

Abstract

Non-native species invasions are altering the composition, structure, function, and dynamics of forests globally. The Hawaiian Islands are a global biodiversity hotspot for non-native invasive plant species. New spatial inventory data for forests of Hawaiʻi can provide insights into invasive species presence and dominance across complex landscapes.

Link to article: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10980-023-01662-6

*A ranching economic analysis of ventenata (Ventenata dubia) control in northeast Wyoming

Hart, M., Ritten, J., & Mealor, B. (2023). A ranching economic analysis of ventenata (Ventenata dubia) control in northeast Wyoming. Invasive Plant Science and Management, 16(1), 56-63. doi:10.1017/inp.2023.8

Abstract

Invasive species pose a threat to the livelihoods of many people living on rangelands of the western United States. Invasive species impact many ecosystem goods and services of the areas they invade and represent one of the largest causes of habitat degradation. On private ranches, economic analyses often find that conservation practices, such as invasive species control, are not economically viable, in contrast to what is found at the landscape scale. In northeast Wyoming, ventenata [Ventenata dubia (Leers) Coss.] is a relatively new invader in the Great Plains ecoregion that threatens forage production on ranches. Our objective was to explore the economic costs of V. dubia for two options available to a ranch operation: purchasing extra hay to offset losses in forage and controlling V. dubia with herbicide. Using a partial budget analysis, we compare these two options in three invasion scenarios using a range of forage utilization rates and discount rates. Controlling V. dubia with herbicide was a cheaper option compared with purchasing additional hay in many cases. In fact, at 50% utilization, it is cheaper to control V. dubia in all of our scenarios at all discount rates given our assumptions. For lower grazing utilization rates, it becomes cheaper to purchase hay in some cases other than in our worst-case invasion scenario. In these cases, coordination among ranchers is needed to effectively control V. dubia. There are many ranch-specific differences that may make a different option more feasible, and we did not explore options of reducing herd sizes. However, our results suggest that controlling V. dubia can be an economically viable option under certain circumstances. Additional assistance in the form of a cost-share program, and facilitation of coordination is needed to overcome the difficulties of private management of invasive species.

Link to article:  https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/invasive-plant-science-and-management/article/ranching-economic-analysis-of-ventenata-control-in-northeast-wyoming/954872E08F00D57A727B3E15C2EEE64F