[APWG] SAVE THE DATE & RSVP: Plant Conservation Alliance e-Meeting, January 11, 2023, 2-4pm ET, with Sara Fitzsimmons

Krone, Elizabeth C elizabeth_krone at fws.gov
Wed Dec 28 15:07:11 CST 2022

Please RSVP to attend the first PCA meeting of 2023 where we welcome Sara Fitzsimmons, Chief Conservation Officer, The American Chestnut Foundation, The Pennsylvania State University, who will discuss Restoring the American Chestnut for Robust Forests in the Eastern US: Considerations and Challenges for the Next 200 Years

ABOUT THE PRESENTATION: The American chestnut (Castanea dentata) was once a primary component of many forests in the eastern US. In the 1800s, plant importation brought with it a devastating fungal disease that all but eliminated the American chestnut from its original range. Researchers with The American Chestnut Foundation and affiliate organizations have been on the forefront to restore this species, exploring the many facets required for reintroduction of disease-resistant populations. The Appalachian forest ecosystem is vastly different now than it was over 100 years ago when American chestnut was often the dominant species of a stand. Invasive and exotic vegetation, introduced diseases and pests, ravenous and excessive deer herds, overdevelopment, and threats of climate change face a species made effectively dormant by introduced disease. Given all those hurdles, one might think working toward chestnut restoration is simply a setup for defeat. Luckily, current research suggests populations of American chestnut could be self-sustainable, despite changing pressures, within the next 50 – 100 years.

ABOUT OUR PRESENTER: Sara Fern Fitzsimmons has worked at Penn State University with The American Chestnut Foundation since 2003, assisting chestnut growers and researchers throughout the Appalachian Mountains.  Born and raised in southern West Virginia (Hinton), Sara studied Biology at Drew University in Madison, NJ.  She then received a Master’s degree in forest ecology and resource management from Duke University’s Nicholas School.  After a short stint as an editorial assistant at All About Beer Magazine, Sara returned to the forestry field, where she has been ever since. Sara hopes her research and professional work will facilitate long-term conservation and restoration of native tree species at risk from exotic pests and diseases.

This meeting is held remotely and open to all. More information about the presentation can be found on our PCA Meetings page<https://www.plantconservationalliance.org/meetings>.

*** PLEASE RSVP TO ATTEND THIS MEETING ***

RSVP by COB Monday, January 9, to elizabeth_krone at fws.gov

The meeting login details will be shared with all respondents via calendar invite and email by Tuesday January 10.

This meeting will be hosted using Microsoft Teams. You will be able to join the meeting from the web or via the Microsoft Teams app<https://gcc02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fteams.microsoft.com%2Fdownloads&data=04%7C01%7Cpatricia_deangelis%40fws.gov%7C3adb3da9016746c2a7c908d9cbc9b276%7C0693b5ba4b184d7b9341f32f400a5494%7C0%7C0%7C637764889401402915%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000&sdata=uXG%2BtOwC1F14QMU5SBJoSoezCN6cPYoAH3I%2FWu8soPA%3D&reserved=0>.

***More information about the presentation is available on our PCA Meetings page<https://gcc02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.plantconservationalliance.org%2Fmeetings&data=04%7C01%7Cpatricia_deangelis%40fws.gov%7C3adb3da9016746c2a7c908d9cbc9b276%7C0693b5ba4b184d7b9341f32f400a5494%7C0%7C0%7C637764889401402915%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000&sdata=gj4mvXznwrbRcNmfHwFgQVVaQL5GQklvYSLSv4YmtFI%3D&reserved=0>.***

The PCA general meetings are open to everyone and follow this format:

>Updates on PCA Activities - learn about and get engaged in the Plant Conservation Alliance

>Invited Speaker – a topical presentation to explore any of the six focal areas identified in the PCA National Framework for Progress<https://gcc02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.blm.gov%2Fsites%2Fblm.gov%2Ffiles%2Fprograms_natural-resources_native-plant-communities_national-seed-strategy_pca_Framework_6.11.2020.pdf&data=04%7C01%7Cpatricia_deangelis%40fws.gov%7C3adb3da9016746c2a7c908d9cbc9b276%7C0693b5ba4b184d7b9341f32f400a5494%7C0%7C0%7C637764889401402915%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000&sdata=d5xugq5JLxx%2FegXdnvbYBhlZMsYS5%2FqKwVJthEglx30%3D&reserved=0>: collaborative conservation; education; restoration; research and development; sustainability; and information sharing

>Native Plants Roundtable - all participants are encouraged to share information on national native plant events and activities

— This meeting is brought to you by the Plant Conservation Alliance Speaker Organizing Team— Gary Krupnick (Smithsonian Institution) / Ray Mims (U.S. Botanic Garden) / Andrea Williams (California Native Plant Society) / David Lincicome (Tennessee Dept of Environment & Conservation) / Anna Lindquist (Chicago Botanic Garden) / Elizabeth Krone (U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service)