[APWG] for Wednesday Nov 14 PCA meeting - Ecoregional Revegetation Application

Samuel Leininger sleininger at conservationdistrict.org
Wed Nov 14 18:40:06 CST 2018

Greetings all,

I want to thank folks for sharing the draft ERA.  The potential for this
tool seems in restoration and revegetation seems truly outstanding.  That
said, I want to note some significant concerns I have with the database
while it is still in a DRAFT status.

In reviewing the list for my region (Willamette Valley), I noticed several
non-native species, known to be invasive or problematic in our region.  One
of them (*Amorpha fruticosa*) is a state-listed noxious weed here in Oregon
and is prohibited for sale or redistribution.

There are others known to be problematic and deleterious and should not be
encouraged for revegetation efforts.  Many of these are actively being
controlled by local entities because of their impacts on our native species.

In reviewing the list, the dataset appears to rely upon USDA Plants for
questions of nativity.  USDA PLANTS cites North American nativity and local
distribution.  Unfortunately, this logic does not translate into local
nativity.  This needs vetting through more refined, state or locally-based
native plant lists.

There is always the question of how local is local enough, and I understand
that.  Unfortunately, the current draft structure fails to not only pass
the “gut-check” test but would actually violate Oregon’s noxious weed laws.

I hope this feedback helps.  Thanks for the sneak peak.

Sam

______________________________________

*Samuel Leininger*

WeedWise Program Manager
Clackamas Soil & Water Conservation District
221 Molalla Ave. Suite 102
Oregon City, OR 97045
503-210-6006

sleininger at conservationdistrict.org
*Follow Us Online!*

[image: WeedWise-Logo-mini] <http://weedwise.conservationdistrict.org/> [image:
e943ecc8-5be2-4768-a17e-1b829b908afe]
<https://www.facebook.com/pages/WeedWise-A-conservation-program-of-the-Clackamas-SWCD/915809398470710>
 [image: 541aa3ae-22f4-4ed9-bfd4-35cb8d8633b6]
<https://twitter.com/ClackamasWeeds?lang=en>