[APWG] Article: Two native forb "winners" in chemical war with spotted knapweed

Tony Frates afrates at addsuminc.com
Fri Jun 16 18:34:05 CDT 2017

Heterotheca villosa (Chrysopsis villosa) has allelopathic properties
and examples of two studies relating to its use specifically to combat
Cirsium arvense follow:

(1)

Integrated management of the invasive species Cirsium arvense, Canada
thistle, and Phragmites australis, common reed: Using ecologically
based control measures at each stage of the invasion process
Juneau, Kevyn J.. Michigan Technological University, ProQuest
Dissertations Publishing, 2013. 3565329.

Preview:

http://search.proquest.com/openview/e913e789ef15669127a9c7b17dc4a34f/1

(2)

Suppressing Canada thistle establishment with native seed mixes and
resulting cost analysis
Fasching, Steven Michael. North Dakota State University, ProQuest
Dissertations Publishing, 2013. 1535528.

Preview:

http://search.proquest.com/openview/6dfe9477a43a97c87b1a87a46d7f4b0b/1

Local observations suggest that Heterotheca villosa helps to keep
other invasives at bay in remnant patches of native plant communities.

Tony Frates
Utah Native Plant Society