[APWG] Happy Holidays part 1

Marc Imlay ialm at erols.com
Fri Dec 22 21:28:19 CST 2017

A Year for Maryland to Be Proud Of

Protecting Endangered Species, Evicting Invasive Ones, and Dealing with Deer
Ticks

<http://image.emails.sierraclub.org/lib/fe9713727460057a77/m/1/volunteer_inv
_sp.jpg>

What do the Baltimore Checkerspot, the Grey Petaltail, and the Eastern
Hellbender have in common? All have great names--and all are threatened in
Maryland. In 2017 the Maryland Sierra Club's Endangered Species team began
compiling data on which to base a statewide strategy for promoting
biodiversity.

Some species, on the other hand, are quite the opposite of endangered. In
fact, invasive plants are the biggest threat to biodiversity after loss of
habitat and water pollution. Enter our interns, who work alongside Sierra
Club leaders and Park personnel learning to identify native plants versus
invasive weeds, how to remove them, and how to run an invasive plant removal
outing. In 2017, 45 interns and volunteers from the Chapter's College Park
office put in 620 hours to fill over 96 bags with invasive weeds such as
bush asiatic honeysuckle, garlic mustard, multiflora rose, and wavyleaf
basketgrass, saving hundreds of types of native plants and animals.

Interns also helped develop a process to assess and publicize which parks
are safest to hike in during peak Lyme disease season. Based on the fact
that deer ticks are scarce where deer density is the naturally occuring
twenty per square mile or less, this process has now been adopted in
Pennsylvania and other states. The students followed up by creating a
brochure
<http://click.emails.sierraclub.org/?qs=5650b682a19fac8418c0e15328107c595cc5
4a2e9a4a9add0951cc8ef486d8cae12d088c6809bfa2371b213627860d8e18315bd81d52d0bb
>  to educate the public about the connection between deer overpopulation
and Lyme disease.

In 2017, 26 interns worked hard side by side with staff and volunteer
leaders, protecting our local parks and gaining real-world experience in
other aspects of running a grassroots nonprofit
<http://click.emails.sierraclub.org/?qs=5650b682a19fac8438a98148dfcd0d0aa045
8bbb2cb613cc251a51cbf4597f917fb4dc7245abc646b9818d82b65cd46dfbecc894a7b68dd6
> . For some, the experience is life-changing, helping to form the next
generation of activist leaders. Meet some of our summer interns  here
<http://click.emails.sierraclub.org/?qs=5650b682a19fac84e4834bac04b6092ce459
5b77228476343c6abd41eb8c8b8d6bac0dff15d2cd50cf23388c018ecfe776ed79674ed3b6ec

  _____