[APWG] FW: [Maipc-brd] Mid-Atlantic Invasive Plant Council Biological Control Work Group document on web site

Marc Imlay ialm at erols.com
Wed Mar 23 06:50:39 CDT 2016

For the attached Mid-Atlantic Invasive Plant Council Biological Control Work Group document on the Sierra Club website see

http://www.sierraclub.org/maryland/land-preservation-tool-kit#invasivespecies

Non-native invasive species control

Non-native invasive plants are covering all our natural areas in the region. The quantity of native plants and animals replaced by competition with non-native species is greater than that lost from all other causes except direct development in our terrestrial habitats and water pollution in our aquatic habitats.

Five programs are especially emphasized for successful control of non-native invasive plants, manual removal, the use of carefully targeted herbicides, host specific biological controls, early detection/rapid response, and development of a core of responsible leaders to ensure that in subsequent years all the successful projects are carried on by responsible entities.

For the status of host specific biological controls see  <http://www.sierraclub.org/sites/www.sierraclub.org/files/sce/maryland-chapter/InvasiveSpecies/MAIPC_BiocontrolWG_Feb%201.2016.pdf> http://www.sierraclub.org/sites/www.sierraclub.org/files/sce/maryland-chapter/InvasiveSpecies/MAIPC_BiocontrolWG_Feb%201.2016.pdf

Marc Imlay, PhD, Chair, MAIPC Biological control working Group Conservation biologist,

Park Ranger Office, Non-native Invasive Plant Control coordinator.  <mailto:Marc.Imlay at pgparks.com> Marc.Imlay at pgparks.com

(301) 442-5657 cell  Natural and Historical Resources Division

The  Maryland-National   Capital   Park  and Planning Commission