[APWG] JOB: Botanist - Nonindigenous Aquatic Species Program (Gainesville, FL)

Kwong, Olivia okwong at blm.gov
Thu Mar 26 15:43:58 CDT 2015

---------- Forwarded message ----------

Botanist
Gainesville, FL

Our client, the Southeast Ecological Science Center (SESC) of the U.S.
Geological Survey (USGS), is devoted to answering ecological questions by
both human-made and natural environmental changes in the southeastern
United States and Caribbean Basin. SESC programs were developed to provide
the appropriate depth and breadth of objective science to meet the
information needs of natural resource managers, who encounter many complex
environmental problems driven by an array of biological, physical, social,
and economic forces that interact across diverse temporal and spatial
scales.

We are looking for individual skilled in aquatic plant identification and
ecology to work with the center’s Nonindigenous Aquatic Species (NAS)
program. The successful candidate will perform critical data entry of a
back-log of aquatic plant data, keep up with the continuing inflow of
information, and write technically accurate species fact sheets.

Responsibilities:

   -

   Write/revise technical aquatic plant species accounts working towards
   updating all species with current literature and detailed distributions.
   -

   Obtain new data sources from state DNRs or the internet.
   -

   Enter nonindigenous aquatic species sightings data into an on-line
   database, following established SOP. Provide quality control for data entry
   by verifying entries prior to submission.
   -

   Geo-reference data to latitude/longitude and hydrologic unit codes.
   -

   Perform literature reviews for invasive aquatic plant information.
   -

   Find and enter herbarium data.
   -

   Contact other scientists and biologists to acquire new information on
   nonindigenous aquatic species.
   -

   Perform quality checks on new and existing data in the NAS system.
   -

   Perform standard office work such as scanning and organizing documents.
   -

   Attend staff meetings related to nonindigenous aquatic species and data
   management.

Qualifications:

   -

   Master’s Degree in Botany and experience with invasive species and
   databases
   -

   Ability to work with little or no supervision and within established
   guidelines and operational procedures
   -

   Skill in aquatic plant identification and ecology
   -

   Familiarity with scientific literature on invasive aquatic plants and
   the ability to conduct literature searches
   -

   Ability to write scientific documents
   -

   MS Office and GIS Software proficiency; familiarity with relational
   databases
   -

   Excellent written and verbal communication skills

Click on Apply to Job below to apply.

Cherokee Nation Technology Solutions provides technical support services
and project support personnel to our Government and industry partners. Our
highly skilled experts support and supplement the mission, expertise, and
skill sets of our clients. Utilizing our customer-intimate approach, we
partner with our clients to provide strategic solutions that maximize the
use of human and financial resources to ensure that mission-critical
projects are completed on time and within budget.

Cherokee Nation Technology Solutions is proud to be an Equal Opportunity
and Affirmative Action employer.

EOE of protected veterans

http://webconnect3.sendouts.com/cn_frame.aspx?id=etip&siteid=webconnect&group=etip&key=cn

The job number is 8875.