[APWG] Southern Pine Beetle Treatment

michael vitti sick4surf at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 11 11:28:33 CST 2014

We recently discovered a few outbreaks of southern pine beetle near the Long Island Pine Barrens region. I was wondering if there are any treatment success stories? As far as I know the current treatment is to cut the infected trees and a buffer zone of healthy trees but this needs to be done before they take flight in April. Is it sufficient to just cut the trees and leave them where they lay or do you have to chip them or burn them? We offered our help with the lead agency which is the NY DEC. Happy Trails,
Michael Vitti
Long Island Greenways and Healthy Trails (LIGHT)
CLIMB President
www.CLIMBonline.org
NY State Trails Council member
Trips for Kids Metro NY affiliate