[APWG] Ecosystem Restoration Site evaluation and analysis Soil and other site conditions Odor as a preliminary test Re: Smell soil to see if you have dead soil causing weeds?

Wayne Tyson landrest at cox.net
Wed Sep 25 12:04:46 CDT 2013

APWG:

While I strongly smell a certain odor here, I must admit that I have used my nose in practice, but only to a limited degree and for limited and often preliminary way. Dogs and hogs have long been used to sniff out underground "fruiting bodies" of certain mycorrhizal fungi, and this might actually be possible to assess the presence or absence of certain symbionts, know of no studies in this regard. Anybody?

The strong odor of anaerobic conditions can sometimes easily be detected by most human noses, and different compounds and elements certainly have distinct odors. There may be untapped potential here, but again, I am aware of no studies that verify the validity of smell tests.

There is, however, plenty of folklore. I grew up on a stock-farm, and my father and others commonly sniffed soil to "judge" its quality.

I don't doubt that there is a difference in the odor of "dead" versus living soils, particularly when organic matter is absent. But the absence or paucity of humus below the A-0 layer indicates that something more than a weed invasion is part of the soil's past. But again, context is everything, and that includes time. Soils lacking humus are usually either arid in the extreme or areas where the biological/living soil has been physically removed, not that "aliens" have taken it away.

Such "dead" soils are more likely to support weeds than indigenous species because the site conditions and the genetics of the (weed) plants growing thereon match those conditions--in toto.

There's more than soil, however, that minimizes the recolonization of disturbed sites by indigenous species. In time--perhaps a very long time--indigenous species usually do re-colonize such disturbed sites--when, and only when, all relevant conditions for their survival and reproduction are present.

I have seen, for example, tiny pioneer populations of indigenous grasses gain a foothold in the midst of a large acreage of "dead" soils "full" (or so I thought at first) that had lain fallow (no livestock) for several years. Who knows what made this possible? Perhaps an animal had a seed caught in its fur, and perhaps another animal transported a mycorrhizal spore at the right place and time under the right conditions for their unification--who knows? But it happens. Once that plant is able to survive fatal predation and set seed, those seeds can then fall upon much more favorable conditions (e.g., presence of mycorrizal fungi), and the colony can then receive pollen from perhaps distant populations of the species. Time and distance can be major factors, among countless others.

N-fixing bacteria may work for or against recolonization by indigenous species. Too much N almost always means weed dominance.

The truth probably is that we still know far too little about the complex phenomena involved, but every effort to sniff them out is worth a try. However, we should never be so cocksure of our conclusions that we stop learning.

WT