[APWG] Smell soil to see if you have dead soil causing weeds?

Robert Layton Beyfuss rlb14 at cornell.edu
Tue Sep 24 17:56:20 CDT 2013

I doubt if grant funders will provide restoration money based on smelling the soil. Dogs can be trained to smell certain cancers. Maybe we can hire them. Is there really any data regarding minimal nutrient thresholds for native plants? We have known for years that nitrogen is a tricky element to measure because it likes to quickly change forms from ammonia to nitrate, nitrite, etc . Any nitrogen measurement is a snapshot of a moment in time. Phosphorus is also turning out to be a tricky character due to mychorizzae. I have University lab soil test results from soils that list 0 pounds per acre of P, yet these soils are covered with healthy forests.