[APWG] Ecosystem Restoration and the challenge of understanding ecological processes Re: What caused surprise results in PoppyProject?--Test soil for soil nutrient thresholds

Wayne Tyson landrest at cox.net
Tue Sep 24 10:50:25 CDT 2013

APWG:

I'm soooo glad to hear from an actual plant physiologist--especially a plant
physiological ecologist--here; I wish I had had Harrison around 50+ years
ago when I was struggling with this. But I'm happy just to know that he
exists--and understands this issue in more detail than I.

I made a little crack in the "code" about 45 years ago, just enough to add
an avalanche of questions, including the kind of nutrition issues that
Harrison states, but I can tell everybody that it was a slooow process to
first start to understand the importance of mycorrhizal associations (a
"Wittman Sampler" of "knowledge" is not enough; one must acquire a deep
understanding of complex interrelationships), the role of free-living
N-fixers, micronutrients, soil organisms, soil atmosphere, and the infinite
interactions and combinations thereof that keeps real students of the
subject busy for lifetimes--with still a lot left to understand after that.

I have "worked" on arid and semi-arid ecosystem restoration issues
since--well, it's hard to put a date on it, but as far back as 1956--my
first botany/biology/ecology class (I had dug up my first Larrea a couple of
years before), and I'm still trying to learn more. Unfortunately, it was
hard to find ecology courses then, much less plant physiological ecology
back then--even if I'd had sense enough to take it up. If I had, I could
probably have compressed decades into a few years and accelerated my
understanding many-fold. I'm still working on it, and it's guys like
Harrison that help open up more clogs in my brain; at least what's left of
it.

WT