[APWG] What caused surprise results in Poppy Project?--Test soil for soil nutrient thresholds

Robert Layton Beyfuss rlb14 at cornell.edu
Fri Sep 20 09:21:30 CDT 2013

Hi All

Most home soil test kits are useless based on my experience comparing their results with legitimate (University) lab results. Nitrogen or even N0 3 levels are impossible to accurately gauge due to the fact that this nutrient is constantly changing in soils in form and availability over even short periods of time.  Even home pH testers are woefully inaccurate. I would never suggest a fertilizer program without bona fide data to back it up. I am not aware of any laboratories that provide nutrient guidelines for native plants in the Northeast, but this may not be the case in the west. Most of our university soil labs (sadly) can recommend nutrient levels for agronomic crops or ornamental crops only!!

Apparently this what you did on BLM land. Glad that at least some labs are doing this!

I like the concept of "default weeds". All weeds are default weeds in the sense that they grow when conditions grant them the opportunity (opportunistic weeds?) Some thrive in nutrient poor soils while others thrive in soils that have far too many nutrients as is the case here in the northeast. Farmers plant lagoons of reeds and cattails to suck up extra nutrients and most waterways that are lined with exotic weeds are overloaded with nutrients also.   The biomass that plants such as knotweed (formerly Polygonum cuspidatum) produce each year is astonishing to see along many waterways here and this is due to high nutrient levels. Wish that someone would harvest this stuff and burn it for energy instead of planting willows and adding 75  pounds of N per acre to get them to grow well.

Of course there are other factors such as soil organic matter levels, soil compaction (surely an issue in overgrazed land?) and possibly allelopathic effects of exotics.

I do like the quick and dirty idea of actually observing what is going on and then trying to address the specific problems, instead of simply spraying herbicides on the exotics and hoping that the natives will return on their own. Unfortunately, that approach has seemed to dominate invasion biology thinking for far too long but when funding for "restoration" has come from weed killing entities, it is to be expected.