[APWG] Ecosystem Restoration and California poppies Re: What caused surprise results in Poppy Project, where seedlings all died?

Robert Layton Beyfuss rlb14 at cornell.edu
Mon Sep 16 10:44:43 CDT 2013

In some cases, the results may be far worse than irrelevant.  A greenhouse experiment using potted ginseng plants back in the 1980's showed that they generally all started flowering at age five. In intensively cultivated field grown ginseng, many plants begin flowering at age 2, but 90% will flower by age 3. In the real world of woodland ginseng, plants flower when the roots attain a certain size, regardless of age. The site conditions and genetic factors determine when that happens.  They may flower at age 4 or 5 on a good site, or more commonly age 7 to 8, but sometimes they never flower at all, even after 20 years.

Federal policy dictates that for roots to be legal to export, they must have 5 visible abscission scars on their rhizome, indicating that they are at least 5 years old and hence, have reproduced (according to the rule based on the pot study). The idea behind this regulation is to insure that the plants have reproduced before they are harvested. In order to observe the scars on the rhizome, the entire root must he harvested intact. This requires killing the plant of course. Most old time ginseng diggers know and I have confirmed with my own unpublished research, that if the rhizome is cut off the root and replanted at harvest time. The plant will come up the following year. It will be a much smaller plant, but within 3 seasons, it generally will become reproductive again. If the harvested plant did have seeds which were replanted at harvest time, and considering that ginseng seed will not come up until the second season after planting, it will take 8 to 10 year for those seedlings to grow into reproductive plants, if ever.

When pot studies form the basis of regulations designed to protect a plant in its native environment, the consequences can be bad, very bad.

Most ecologists already know this. Wild ginseng would be far better off with a regulation that read, "Ginseng roots may be harvested when they are as big as Bic lighter or bigger". That would work.