[APWG] Heavy use of herbicide Roundup linked tohealth dangers: study

Gena Fleming genafleming at gmail.com
Mon May 6 13:36:42 CDT 2013

Well, this is quite a conundrum, isn't it?  I guess we'll never know for
sure, but it's an interesting puzzle.   The following may or may not be
deemed relevant to the discussion.

This correspondence by Michael Surgan is a good (and brief) discussion of
the problems posed by the presence of "inert" ingredients in pesticide
formulations:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1281320/#b1-ehp0113-a0657c

In his reference section, he cites but does not provide a link to the New
York lawsuit filed against Monsanto, so I will provide it here:
http://big.assets.huffingtonpost.com/fraud.pdf

Note that a similar lawsuit against Monsanto's false claim of Roundup being
nontoxic and biodegradable was also successfully pursued in France.

The article Surgan references by Richard et al. that explores the toxicity
of some of the adjuvants in Roundup formulations is a worthwhile read; the
abstract doesn't take too much time:

Surgan's link to the EPA Reregistration Eligibility Document on Glyphosate
doesn't work.  Here's an EPA fact sheet for that document:
http://www.epa.gov/oppsrrd1/REDs/factsheets/0178fact.pdf<http://www.epa.gov/oppsrrd1/REDs/factsheets/0178fact.pdf>
... with the relevant excerpt being (and bold emphasis is mine):
*
*

*Due to the presence of a toxic inert ingredient, some glyphosate end-use
products must be labeled, "Toxic to fish," if they may be applied directly
to aquatic environments.*
* *

*
*The fact that the EPA feels comfortable using terms such as "toxic inert
ingredient" is enough to keep my head in a spin.

best regards,

Gena Fleming**