[APWG] Update on Invasive Notes: Invasive Bamboo Wars Heat Up

Marc Imlay ialm at erols.com
Mon Jan 28 08:00:27 CST 2013

Bamboo Control with native  American pokeweed

Anacostia Watershed Society treated a bamboo patch at Magruder Woods in
Hyattsville, Maryland, several years ago. Next year all the bamboo was still
dead. However, the following year the patch was covered with new bamboo
shoots. Last year and the year before I observed that the bamboo was gone.
At the Fall conference of the Maryland Native Plant Society in Towson,
Maryland, on September 29, 2012 I asked Jorge Bogantes with AWS how they did
this. He told me that they successfully used native American Pokeweed ,
Phytolacca americana. AWS found out that about 5% of the bamboo was not
killed by the pokeweed and had to be cut down.

I suggest we experiment this year with controlling bamboo patches we have
cut down this year with pokeweed. We can go out soon to the open space
habitats where we are controlling bamboo and identify which ones have
pokeweed? Then we can treat half of the patches but leave the other half
alone and see if resurgent pokeweed outcompetes the bamboo. The bamboo may
or may not need one year foliar treatment for the pokeweed to work the mext
year.  If American Pokeweed works, one reseach question is if it works by
being  alleopathic or by providing shade over the bamboo, or a combination
of both.  The poke weed can be applied at different times of the year in a
variety of ways as part of the experiment. One individual with the Maryland
Native Plant Society is planning to apply seeds this winter. Another
research methodolgy issue is how open the bamboo habitat needs to be for the
poke weed to work.

Marc Imlay, PhD,
Conservation biologist, Park Ranger Office
(301) 442-5657 cell
 ialm at erols.com
Natural and Historical Resources Division
The  Maryland-National   Capital   Park  and Planning Commission
www.pgparks.com

----