[APWG] Ecosystem Restoration Mathematics and performance Re: Mathematical Constants for annual, biennial weeds and natives

Wayne Tyson landrest at cox.net
Mon Sep 24 15:26:31 CDT 2012

I hope Dremman will go into more detail on his theory and its testing.

I have dabbled in this stuff a bit, but variables and the GIGO factor kept
the predictability somewhere between low and dangerously misleading. The
last thing we want to do in restoration is to lead ourselves down the garden
path of pseudo-mathematics, eh?

When I retired, SERCAL was kind enough to let me spout off at their annual
meeting, and I published a summary of remarks in Ecology and Society
http://www.ecologyandsociety.org/vol5/iss2/art5/

I have submitted an "idea" to the Smithsonian Institution's Encyclopedia of
Life group to gather and store in easily retrievable and "manipulatable"
form, data on the range of requirements and tolerance limits for organisms.
You can go to their website and submit any relevant idea. I hope Dremman
will do so.

WT

PS: I developed a program for calculating the relative amounts of seed
required for effective ecosystem restoration back in the 90's, but it relied
more on feedback from actual projects that complex mathematical formulae,
but it at least minimized one of the major errors in seeding ecosystem
restoration sites--too much seed and an imbalance of species. This was
necessity borne of error, from projects that, while I considered them
"failures," did produce results that pleased others, they did not meet my
own objectives. Many of my own mistakes in the early part of my practice
were caused by TOO MUCH "success," but at the expense of the kind of
diversity that the project was designed for. A very critical aspect of
ecosystem restoration project performance is how plants (and, to some
degree, animals, but that is a factor best left alone--but factored into the
design) developed in relationship to each other. It is counterintuitive, I
know (much of ecosystem restoration design tends to be counterintuitive,
especially for designers that work from agronomic or horticultural
paradigms), but if one must err when it comes to the amount of seed, it is
best to err on the low side than the high side. And sometimes, this seems
absurdly low to agronomists and horticulturalists. One must, however, factor
in the best survivorship curves, growth rates, etc. to arrive at the best
possible volume of seed. With some seeds, a quarter-pound per acre has
proven to be 'way too much, and the result was suppression of many of the
other species, resulting in lowered diversity, resilience, and overall
performance at, ironically, much higher cost. There's a lot more to this,
but I'll stop here. Bottom line: Guesswork is ok, based on a lot of
experience (I screwed up a lot for fifteen years before I started to get it
right), but it has to be good guesswork. Mathematical formulae are just
fine, but unless they are close to perfect, the highly variable nature of
Nature will confound them.