[APWG] Native "invaders"?

Wayne Tyson landrest at cox.net
Tue Sep 18 17:51:21 CDT 2012

Ryan,

If you could be specific about which exaggerations, which marginal cases,
and which point is being pressed too far, I could then try to respond.

Above all, please be specific about exactly how the statement "Organisms do
what they can, where they can, when they can" is "unhelpful" in advancing
science.

Which advance science more, specifics or generalizations?

WT

PS: When it comes to "natural areas management," there's nobody that hates
ripgut brome and similar pestiferous introductions more than I do, but the
elephant in the "management" room is "at what cost?" In terms of damage done
to ecosystems by "control methods," optimal allocation of scarce resources,
and other consequences of various actions? I see a lot of damage done by
"control" actions, which often make matters worse. And again, setting up
conditions that favor healthy ecosystems and discourage population growth
and persistence of weedy species is an element too often ignored in favor of
chemicals, more disturbance, and futile whacking. Whatever management action
is taken should have to prove itself in the long term, not just the
temporary removal or killing of "weeds." Managers also frequently fail to
understand the positive but temporary role that alien species can play in
ecosystem restoration, such as soil-building. By looking at the whole
dynamic rather than the expediency of a method of mere removal, one can not
only be more effective and often at far less cost in terms of damage and
money, one can often discover other ways to take action that fits specific
cases better. All the rounding up and all the bashing and pulling and
digging does not necessarily mean that superior results will be secured and
that such actions will not result in worse conditions than those being
"controlled."