[APWG] Percentage cover of each species to find constants

Craig Dremann - Redwood City Seed Company Craig at astreet.com
Tue Oct 2 15:59:51 CDT 2012

Dear Wayne and All,

I hope this is of interest to all of the readers of this list.

The percentage cover of each species in an area, for my purposes, is not
to determine any ecological conditions, but to build models to find plant
species interactions.

What you use percentage cover of each species within an area, is to
develop your mathematical constants with those figures.  Then you can use
those constants to write equations, and those equations can then be used
to build computer programs.

With these species Mathematical Constants, the sum is always 100, meaning
100 percent cover for the area.

For example, at Land Doctor Mark Vande Pol and his 14 acres, I saw very
interesting native legume-native grass associations that I had never seen
before.

If you think as if your weed or native area like a huge petri dish, then
how are the plants and weeds interacting with each other?  The
Mathematical Constants can help sort those relationships out.

Sincerely,  Craig Dremann (650) 325-7333