[APWG] Mathematical Constants for plants and soil, plus Deep Weeding

Craig Dremann - Redwood City Seed Company Craig at astreet.com
Mon Oct 1 19:50:17 CDT 2012

Dear Wayne and All,

Thanks for your email.  Mathematical Constants, that was taught to me by
Ken Kolence, who established the first licensed software business here in
Silicon Valley, is where there are mathematical ranges for the percentage
cover for each species, in an ecosystem.

Using the perennial natives as your anchor mathemaical constants, then you
can find the relationship between the other species.

For the soil nutrients, there are Mathematical Constants for each species
also, the ranges of nutrients within which each species lives and
reproduces with.  For example, we found those constants in our 100-mile
long pipeline project at http://www.ecoseeds.com/greatbasin.html, then we
could match the species with the soil nutirnet levels we found along the
route.

Perhaps the soil was too poor in an area, so we used a species or two
whose nutrient Mathematical Constant was lower.

I hope that answers your questions.

Regarding Mark Vande Pol's 14 acres of 99.6% native cover, that means that
he has about 600,000 square feet, with only 240 square feet or weeds
scattered arounbd the property.

What is most interesting, is how Mark views those remaining 240 square
feet.  He has counted all of the weed species on his property,  and with
over 200 natives, there were originally 125 weed species.

Then Mark classifies his weeds into seven categories, that I call the Deep
Weeding groups:
--20 are eradicated from the property.
--45 are controlled
--24 are contained
--15 are Take-down, which means in the process to target to massively
reduce numbers.
--7 are out of control.
--9 are benign, in that they do not spread.
--5 were listed historically for the property, but are no longer seen.

I am hoping that people reading these posts, will be able to go on the
field trip for the November Felton, CA meeting, and see what the land
looked like before the weed invasion.

Sincerely,  Craig Dremann (650) 325-7333