[APWG] Ecosystem dynamics and 100 percent suppression by strawapplication Allelopathic straw keeping weeds out & moisturein duringdrought

Wayne Tyson landrest at cox.net
Fri Nov 16 17:33:23 CST 2012

APWG:

Another option is to interplant indigenous species that are known to be capable of suppressing weeds, either as part of a "one-stroke" (transformational) restoration operation or as a two+ phase (transitional) one. In both cases I prefer sterile, relatively short-lived indigenous "pioneer" species so that they won't continue to suppress indigenous species or reproduce; of course, there are always exceptions, depending upon circumstances. I have even been known to use certain alien species for specific functions that I know to be what I call "fast-faders" which do not persist beyond their period of usefulness. By planting such transitional suppressors/habitat modifiers in modest populations with space between them being occupied by other indigenous species, such as slower-growing components or even other pioneer species, most weedy aliens will find it tough going and decline. After all, most aliens are not as well-suited to an undisturbed ecosystem (hence Ewel's criterion of non-invasibility), they will similarly be not so well suited to a recovering one--to a degree roughly proportional to the state of recovery. A downward overall trend of alien population populations and an upward trend of indigenous populations (though populations, per se is not so important as diversity), is the best indicator of restoration project status or success. Measures like "cover" can be misleading, and are related to the site's productive potential and/or transitory or fluctuating environmental state, not necessarily restoration project success. Cover is the easiest thing to achieve; a fully functional, reproducing, diversifying, self-sufficient, permanent biological complex may have a high cover value, but in sites with limited productive potential or carrying capacity, too high a cover value can lead to failure, particularly in arid or otherwise limited sites.

I like Imlay's idea of the straw patches because my first rule is heterogeneity as opposed to homogeneity, even on sites that appear to be homogeneous, such as grasslands. Dremann's idea of using indigenous (Nasella/Stipa, in his case) straw is an intriguing one, but I would steer clear of the oats, which can have their own "allelopathic" effects. I would, however, only use methods, straw included, that were both most effective and economical. If restoration is too expensive, it will never become popular or widely used.

In general, I am less concerned about "competition" and more concerned about cooperation and interaction among species and do not want 100 percent of anything (even though I would very much like for alien species to be zero percent, I would not insist upon it; reducing them to a minor component of the species assemblage and with a declining trend-line is good enough for me. I want to restore the entire web of life that existed prior to disturbance and/or as complex an association as the site conditions, sometimes intentionally modified for that purpose, as I can get. For example, I want "grassland" geophytes as well as the entire suite of grass species that made up the original undisturbed site, if possible. In grassland sites, as with other sites, it may take time to reach the levels of complexity and productivity that existed before the disturbance. In areas where biological soil has been removed, for example, part of the restoration strategy will have to include or even emphasize soil-building processes, which can take many years. As the initial restoration project changes habitat conditions, species which might not have survived in the beginning can be added as conditions become more suitable for them.

Of course, if natives can move back in on their own, so much the better. I have always begun a restoration potential assessment by considering the zero option--what is likely to happen if nothing is done--then working into increasing levels of complexity until only a barely sufficient level of action, resources, time, and money are used.

As to herbicides, I have never used them, but that doesn't mean that a very limited and highly directed application might not be called for. I would never spray any herbicide where any chance of its touching anything (soil or other vegetation) other than the target plant would be possible. Selectively killing with herbicide without general spraying is nearly always preferable to digging and otherwise disturbing the soil.

WT