[APWG] Ecosystem Restoration: On Humans and Ecosystems

Wayne Tyson landrest at cox.net
Tue Mar 6 10:10:38 CST 2012

Gena and followers of her thread:

WOW! (The essence of the pot is the space within. And--I would add, the space without.)

In China, for example, it seems that epidemiologists get more respect than they do in the so-called "West." I was in the ER four times last year; one of the physicians had a Chinese name. When I asked what he thought of my "numbers," he replied, "I don't treat numbers, I treat the patient." I wanted to kiss him.

I am out standing in my field essentially alone when I assert that biology and ecology, as fields (made up of cultural beings) are wasting their time fiddling around with "perfect" data that is, in reality, largely irrelevant to ecosystem function (one top ecologist once told me that he didn't think he knew what ecosystem function was). My impertinence really pisses off the priests of those fields, and I have been stoned aplenty for my sinning. I suppose if they knew that was only the tip of the iceberg, they would be assembling outside with torches.

This doesn't "answer" your question, it is intended to honor it.

WT

PS: I have retained Fleming's entire post, as I can't decide what is not relevant to my comment.