[APWG] Ecosystems Invasions Re: Do ecosystems resistinvasion?Invasion and cropping Re: rate of change

Robert Layton Beyfuss rlb14 at cornell.edu
Tue Mar 6 09:19:24 CST 2012

If the objective of the BMP is to grow most of the food we eat in this country, in the most efficient manner, then the answer is a resounding "Yes". Hundreds of millions of acres of our food staples, i.e. Corn and soybeans are RR (Round Up Ready) varieties. These crops are engineered to be planted and then oversprayed with Round Up when the weeds emerge. Helicopters do this most efficiently. I would hope that this technique is not employed for for any sort of ecological restoration but the evidence that it is used for this purpose, is obvious and not just in Utah .
My friend at Cornell is growing trees as an agricultural crop and his mist blowing of herbicide is an accepted BMP for this purpose.