[APWG] Invasion and cropping Re: rate of change

Wayne Tyson landrest at cox.net
Wed Feb 29 17:41:29 CST 2012

Y'all:

When you change something in an ecosystem, other things change, including "invasions" (aka colonization). Ecosystems tend toward sequestering most or effectively all of the nutrients in the biomass--or try to. Much of colonization consists of a drive in that direction. This is why some ecologists have said that an ecosystem in equilibrium resists invasion. This is a sustained/sustainable situation, but that is far different from the invented and spun context in which "sustainable" is bandied about today.

To cut to the chase, modern agronomic practice is 180 degrees out of phase with this principle, hence with ecosystems. Study sites where the best ginseng grows, and study them completely. Then compare those conditions with the ones in which you are attempting to grow it as a crop. If there is any significant difference, it is likely that you are whizzing upwind.

This is already indulging in more conjecture than justified by the scant information about the ecological context of your project, so take it with a grain of salt and see if any of the principles mentioned help. I hope so.

WT