[APWG] Invasives removal events calendar

Marc Imlay ialm at erols.com
Tue Feb 14 12:35:41 CST 2012

Hi restoration leaders,

This is a good time to forward updated announcements for the Maryland 2012
Invasive plant removal schedule. Most of the events I know about are shown
in the updated link below for 2011. I will forward them to the Sierra Club
Maryland state chapter newsletter,  Maryland Native Plant Society for the
annual update, the ACB Bay Journal and web sites for the Maryland Invasive
Species Council (MISC), Mid-Atlantic Invasive Plant Council (MAIPC) and
other societies. If you know of other sites let's include them. Spring is a
good time for volunteers to appreciate the native ephemeral flowers that are
being rescued! Thanks so much.

Marc Imlay, PhD,

Conservation biologist, Park Ranger Office

(301) 442-5657 cell

 <mailto:Marc.Imlay at pgparks.com>  <mailto:Marc.Imlay at pgparks.com>
<mailto:ialm at erols.com> ialm at erols.com

Natural and Historical Resources Division

The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission

 <http://www.pgparks.com> www.pgparks.com

Here is the concept I mentioned at a workshop about choosing invasive plant
control restoration sites where we can win the battle, followed by moving on
later to more invaded sites to win the war.

b. Surveys and management plans. Inventory and prioritize. In choosing the
site it is best to start with the more sensitive areas [dominated by native
rather than non-native plants] and work out as volunteer and staff support
grows. Some of the natives remain to re-colonize as invasive plant control
advances and environmental stresses are controlled. These sites also become
sources of native plants for contiguous areas and sites nearby, especially
when resources are available to remove invasive species by their land
managers.