[APWG] Ecosystem restoration standards Dremann Ecosystem trends and collapse Re: 99.5%-or-Bust Standard for March 20 San Mateo County WMAmeeting

Wayne Tyson landrest at cox.net
Mon Feb 6 15:19:19 CST 2012

All:

". . . get the grassland ecosystem back to 99.5% native cover, or it quickly
or eventually collapses back to a huge weed-patch . . ." --Craig Dremann

As the song goes, "it ain't necessarily so." There are simply too many
variables involved to support such a generalization. It is a nice one, an
appealing one, and one that is likely to win the hearts and minds of those
who share our sentiments but lack the experience and knowledge of the
relevant principles. But hell, I'm far from certain that I understand
ecosystem function well enough, and I don't know of anyone (except God or
Nature perhaps) who does. Even Dremann, with his vast knowledge, may not
know everything. It just sometimes appears as though he thinks so.

That is not to say it can't happen, and for years I thought all was lost if
even a single alien seed was left on a restoration project. I shared the
fears of the most dedicated "weed-Nazi" that once aliens invaded, all would
be lost, and the body-snatchers would prevail.

Then, after fifteen years of being kicked in the po-po by Nature at work, I
began to shift my paradigm--and lo! projects began to improve with time
rather than degrade or "collapse."

And this is not to say that restoration projects won't or don't
collapse--they have and they do. But that is not solely because 99.5 percent
of the aliens or alien "cover" (whatever that means) was not achieved (at
HUGE EXPENSE!).

After fifteen years of applying irrelevant (to ecosystem function) agronomic
and horticultural paradigms, I finally spent enough time studying what was
going on in Nature, I started having more success. That is, the less I
interfered with natural processes (especially after "treatment") the better
results I got (self-sufficiency, stress-tolerance, high-replacement rates,
more recruitment, and improvement rather than degradation over time, for
example--there's more, but I don't want to be a bore.

I have seen indigenous species (especially in grasslands) push the invading
hordes aside. The aliens were not all-powerful after all! This was not
collapse, this was re-invasion by our noble natives! That trend, taken to
its logical conclusion would lead to a recapture of dominance by indigenous
forces and suppression of the aliens to the point where any survivors were
toppled from they bully-pulpits and relegated to the jobs for which they are
best-suited--colonizing areas injured by land misuse--much like, and often
in concert with, indigenous pioneer species.

WT

PS: I'm trying to follow Dremann's standard by limiting my responses to one
subject. Therefore, I have left responses to other subjects for later. I do
not consider this response to be complete; nay, I invite others to fill in
where I have left things out, and to correct my errors.