[APWG] BioFools Re: NEWS: Invasive plant's use for biomass worries some

Wayne Tyson landrest at cox.net
Tue Dec 4 12:43:33 CST 2012

Honorable APWG:

A ton of people, some of them biologists, botanists, ecologists, are making
a ton of money on the biofoolish idea that some plant or another is going to
solve the energy problem. Follow the money--most of it your tax money, some
of it donated to "enviro" front organizations. (Algae MIGHT be and
exception--please feed me info on this.) The ratio of energy input to output
is essentially negative, not positive. (Yes, some "studies" have "shown"
meager "evidence" of fractional net production, but it's only a fraction of
the story--things like the tortilla riots being only one dramatic example.)

There's nothing wrong with amateurs--but neither they nor "scientists"
should pop off unless they know what they're talking about. That includes
me, but one can't "prove" a negative. However, fans of such harebrained
schemes are welcome to submit evidence/calculations of its net energy value.

There are so many errors in the article, I won't go through them all, but
the "drought tolerant" one seems to be such a frequently-claimed conclusion
that I must say again--more biomass requires more water, and so-called
"marginal" lands (meaning "undeveloped" ecosystems) will not produce more
than a relatively tiny fraction of the biomass of those from more mesic
sites (in this case, wetlands).

If by "drought-tolerant" the misinformed mean that, for example, Arundo
donax can survive relatively dry-weather periods, it does not mean that they
are "drought-tolerant" (a questionably, ill-defined term at best), but that
they might be termed "drought" enduring.

Please, please, please--do not accept "authority" as evidence for anything,
any time. DEMAND evidence to back up claims. Dig into the research
literature, and go 'way back to the early 19th century at least, and
question all of it. If it holds, you're probably on firm ground. If not, YOU
can be the hero, and refute the errors that would be comical, were they not
so pathetically and simply just figments of guesswork and presumption.

WT