[APWG] early-flowering stiltgrass

Angie Shelton anshelto at indiana.edu
Thu Aug 16 08:37:06 CDT 2012

Hello all,

I have noticed that Japanese stilt grass in south central Indiana started
setting seed by the first week of August this year.  Seed set in this area
usually begins in late August to early September. This year's seed set is
almost a full month earlier than usual.  Control efforts on this annual
plant need to be done before seed set to be effective, so an earlier
flowering time reduces the time for late-season management.

The earlier flowering could be a result of a warm, early spring that caused
stiltgrass and most native spring plants to germinate 3-4 weeks earlier
than usual.  It could also be due to a much warmer than usual summer.
 These causes are not mutually exclusive.

I am curious if Japanese stiltgrass is also flowering earlier than usual in
other regions.  If so, was germination also earlier than usual?  Summer
temperatures were probably warmer than usual across the entire range in the
eastern U.S.  What are the typical germination and flowering times in more
southern regions where the growing season is longer?  Being able to predict
flowering time across a range of conditions is important to know when the
deadline is to complete management efforts for the year.

Angie Shelton
Department of Biology
IU Research & Teaching Preserve
Indiana University