[APWG] Weeds may be due to soil nutrient levels, not invasive themselves

Wayne Tyson landrest at cox.net
Mon Nov 14 16:33:47 CST 2011

Please pardon cross-postings.

Anything this earth-shaking should be published, showing the detail with
respect to methods and procedures. Presuming that the information regarding
K-deficiency = weeds because the weeds absorbed all or most of it, leading
to K-deficiency in indigenous species was gleaned from published research,
it would be nice to have some references and links.

Most cheap soil test kits are not accurate enough to give the whole relevant
picture. Samples should be taken from near the surface, in the top half to
one-third of the root zone, and as near to the bottom of the root zone as
possible. I have seen wild differences among these three sampling regions.

Of course, checking the plants for K is even more important. If the weeds in
question or weeds in general sequester more K than indigenous species,
particularly if they create K-deficient soils that kind of evidence should
be verified and the methods replicated before sending everybody off on a
K-fertilizing binge. It might also help to check the K pathways and
conditions of availability. P availability is restricted by a number of
mechanisms, but there is usually so much K present in most soils that it can
safely be left entirely out of any nutrient-adding "programs."

In fact, one way of restricting weed growth is the concept of
"anti-fertilization," as in using iron to interfere with P absorption by
non-mycorrhizal weeds.

Dremman has posed an interesting possibility, but one which I hope he will
share more details.

WT