[APWG] NEWS: Invasive Species Widespread, but Not More Than at Home

Robert Layton Beyfuss rlb14 at cornell.edu
Mon Mar 14 10:06:12 CDT 2011

Hi Wayne
I agree with your comments. Some people consider most exotic plants as invasive in all situations regardless of where they occur. This includes many roadside weeds that survive in a hostile, manmade environment that many native plants cannot tolerate but these plants are only rarely found 100 yards away from the highway. At least that has been my observation here in upstate NY where I often wander off the road to see how far the invasive plants that dominate the roadside may be found. I read here that Portland, Oregon has an ordinance requiring the extermination of certain exotic plants, seemingly because they present a threat to the native ecosystem of the city of Portland?   I am all in favor of protecting undisturbed ecosystems and other places of native biodiversity from exotic weeds but I wonder how many truly "undisturbed ecosystems" still exist in most of the US. I have been pleased to note on this list serve that the tone of the posts is moving more towards learning and understanding the processes that lead to weed invasions and then designing a carefully calculated approach to dealing with them as some of the posters here have done.
Bob