[APWG] mechanical stiltgrass control

ForestRuss at aol.com ForestRuss at aol.com
Mon Jun 27 07:25:47 CDT 2011

APWG:

Recently, I hosted a program in central West Virginia woodland that
included a tour of areas impacted by Bipolaris fungus and forested areas where
mechanical control of Microstegium has been underway for several years.

We began mechanical treatment here at Crummies Creek Demonstration Forest
over a decade ago because of the potential conflict between in-the-forest
medicinal plant production and chemical herbicide residues in plants intended
 for use in herbal medicines.

Because almost nothing has been written on practical aspects of mechanical
control of Japanese stiltgrass I developed a short paper on mechanical
control  of stiltgrass for distribution of the session.  The paper was very well
 received and will be released as a WVU Extension publication later this
summer.

To obtain a copy of the publication please go to the following link.

_http://www.forestguild.org/ecological_forestry/Stiltgrass_management_2011.p
df_
(http://www.forestguild.org/ecological_forestry/Stiltgrass_management_2011.pdf)

Sincerely,