[APWG] Beginning of a journal article? Maybe add vacancy & evolution

Wayne Tyson landrest at cox.net
Thu Jun 2 18:32:43 CDT 2011

Craig and all:

I think Craig's ideas are fundamentally very good; both items 16 and 17
being in great need of further study. We not only need more information
about the species compositions, distribution, and density, and mostly the
trends of those factors (they don't stay the same, and they vary from time
to time and place to place). I, for one think "cover" is a vastly overused
and misused measure, but that itself is another subject for discussion.

A lot of the grunt work may not require a grad student's breadth of
competence, but primary school children should be able to handle some of the
simplest stuff with a bit of training. What this sort of thing would require
is simplicity of design, scientific validity, and a central data
repository--and, of course, Open Access.

WT