[APWG] Terminology still unresolved? Re: Jewelweed

Marc Imlay ialm at erols.com
Fri Jul 29 08:29:55 CDT 2011

I use non-native invasive. Marc

  _____

From: apwg-bounces at lists.plantconservation.org
[mailto:apwg-bounces at lists.plantconservation.org] On Behalf Of Wayne Tyson
Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2011 11:25 AM
To: Robert Layton Beyfuss; Graziano, Gino A (DNR); Gena Fleming
Cc: apwg at lists.plantconservation.org
Subject: Re: [APWG] Terminology still unresolved? Re: Jewelweed

Hi y'all,

I suspect that a lot of the "backlash" that occurs is the result of
excessive hyperbole and pure pig-headedness than healthy intellectual
intercourse.

"Alien" is a loaded word because of its semantic alliances, different in
every malignant prong of undisciplined linguistic evolution; "lay" people
are sometimes surprisingly ignorant of even simpler distinctions (e.g. an
educated project manager who thought that chaparral was a single species),
but they are not unintelligent, the distinction simply had not yet proven
necessary in her life. One wonders how far off the beam the rest of the
"rabble" is.

Thinking of others as rabble and giving up on them is all too common among
academics, even science-writers. Would dropping the term "alien" from the
scholarly literature and replacing it with a less-loaded term advance or
retard understanding?

WT

"'Tis friction's brisk, rough rub that provides the vital spark!" --A. R.
Martin