[APWG] Jewelweed

Cynthia_Boettner at fws.gov Cynthia_Boettner at fws.gov
Tue Jul 19 08:26:31 CDT 2011

Hi Katie,
I will be interested to see what kind of feedback you get on your question
about jewelweed. I've been noticing so much more of it in disturbed areas
the past few years (even my own garden!)  here in western Massachusetts and
have speculated that this might be a species that could become problematic
outside of its native range.

Best,
Cynthia

Cynthia Boettner, Coordinator
Invasive Plant Control Initiative
Silvio O. Conte National Fish and Wildlife Refuge
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
103 E. Plumtree Rd.
Sunderland, MA  01375
Phone: 413-548-8002  ext. 115
FAX: 413-548-9725
Email:  Cynthia_Boettner at fws.gov

             Katie Fite
             <katie at westernwat
             ersheds.org>                                               To
             Sent by:                  <apwg at lists.plantconservation.org>
             apwg-bounces at list                                          cc
             s.plantconservati
             on.org                                                Subject
                                       [APWG] Jewelweed

             07/18/2011 08:46
             PM

Has anyone had any experience with jewelweed (Impatiens) native to the
eastern U. S. becoming weedy in valley marsh habitats in the intermountain
West?

I see that jewelweed Impatiens capensis (orange jewelweed) is listed as a
King County  (WA) “Weed of Concern”.

This species is shown as having a yellow flowered form, which is what we
are seeing.

http://www.kingcounty.gov/environment/animalsAndPlants/noxious-weeds/laws/list.aspx

Katie Fite
Western Watersheds Project